Pages

Sunday 12 September 2010

Week 5: Tutorial Task: Fire Safety For Children

Topic Question: You are asked to provide a presentation to a group of children between the ages of 8-10 years old. Your topic is about fire safety and how to prevent fire accidents in the home. The context of this presentation is in Primary school.

If I were to teach children about fire safety, I would show them a real fire!


I would take out a lighter and light it. Some people would show them a cartoon or animated fire with mean faces usually because in order not to scare them or they think that the children would remember easily if it were a cute animated fire but I do not think so. In my opinion, it is better to show them the real thing so they know how the fire really look like. Real fire do not have mean faces and iconic in reall life right? What I am saying is that, be realistic. I am sure that they already have this image in their schema for fire. Children are very curious at their age and I assume that they acknowledge fire even before they enroll in a school, perhaps from the stove where their mother cook their breakfast or the bonfires their father made during their camping trip or in their PSP, PS3 or any visual games that they play. Some might say that I could just show them a picture of a real fire but I prefer showing them live because children are more attentive and fascinated to interactive things.

After showing them the first schema, I would go on with my explanation of what a fire is and what it is capable of. Then I will show them the next schema:-


I know this might look slightly gory for primary students but I think it is the best way. Besides, they are primary children and they are old enough to see such image. If I were a parent myself, I would show them this because at least they know that this is a serious matter that they need to be aware of. Moreover, this image would heighten that negative effect of playing with fire at home.

The top level of the schema is that the fire is always hot and burning and the lower level of the schema would be the fact that it can cause serious problems which might be dangerous for them if they do not handle it with care. Both of the schemas are congruent because both of them are things that we see in our everyday life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It's More Than Meets The Eye

Assalamualaikum and Good Day! :)

I would like to welcome everyone who is visiting my blog :) I am happy to say that I'm proud to be in this course. This is a project journal for Visual Communication. I do hope you enjoy and do comment on any posts I made. Really appreciated it :)


Template by:
Free Blog Templates