Pages

Tuesday 17 August 2010

Ideology: Family Ads (Wk 2)



When you look at these pictures, the first thing that appears in our mind is 'the perfect' or 'the ideal' family. We see these type of ads everywhere from our milk cartons, TV commercials and also our family portraits. However, we know that these are not always what it looks like right? We know that a real family are not always as happy and all smiles like what we see in these ads or family portraits.But that is what ideology really means, which is to make everything 'look' positive. Well, who would not want to be positive? Everybody does! But in reality, it is not always as positive as what our TV commercials show or how we pose for a family portrait. 
I realized that these type of ads could actually offend certain people. I once had a friend and she always have problems with her family. She usually goes to me and tell me everything about her problems, how she was always being beaten by her father and mother, and that her parents always fight with each other and in the end, they got divorced. She knew that she does not have the perfect family like some people do and this actually makes her angry. I remembered that one morning when we were in the library, we were just reading some random books while waiting for our parents to pick us up, she suddenly threw a book over the desk and sulk. I was surprised and asked her why but she did not answer. So I pick up the book from across the table and found out it was a magazine where the cover shows a beautiful looking people, young and old, hugging and smiling together. The title of the cover was 'Your Family'. I immediately knew why and when I turned to her to comfort her, she was already crying. 





After she looked at the cover of that family magazine, it made her angry thinking how the cover is generalizing it to everyone because it is not true. So every time she sees a picture of a happy family, she would sulk, groan, scowl or just roll her eyes. After the divorce of her parents, she became rebellious and hot-headed. I tried to help her by giving her advice but it did not work. Until now, I do not know where she is but I hope she has changed into someone better.

Therefore, ideology sometimes can alter perception. It depends on our own interpretation and perception of things and sometimes our life affects on how we view things. Positive ads are not always as positive as they think they are and it is possible that these ads could change someone's personality. My friend thought that it is not fair for these type of ads to be widespread because it is not true but we know that it is because of her problematic background. Other people might find those type of ads appealing and nostalgic sometimes. It might remind them of their own family photos which they took during Hari Raya or Christmas.

To conclude, when we ever see any type of ads, we must always put in mind that they are not always what they seem to be. Most of the time they are lying to us, to be honest. They just want us to buy their products or services and maybe indirectly ask us to payback the money they pay for the ads.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It's More Than Meets The Eye

Assalamualaikum and Good Day! :)

I would like to welcome everyone who is visiting my blog :) I am happy to say that I'm proud to be in this course. This is a project journal for Visual Communication. I do hope you enjoy and do comment on any posts I made. Really appreciated it :)


Template by:
Free Blog Templates