Pages

Tuesday 10 August 2010

Pretty Little Things *hearts* (Wk 1)


Today I am posting about my understanding of the term 'ideology'. Ideology means a set of ideas that has been created by one society and those ideas will be applied to the lives of the people in the society. It is another way of saying the 'ideal' way for everything. For example, men are said to be the dominant sex in most society and women to be inferior. However this does not apply to some societies, some are of the opposite. 

However, in visual communication, ideology would mean that how we perceive and look at things, our ideas and our concepts, depends on our own perspectives, culture and our beliefs. For example, if we see an old man wearing a tutu walking in Bandar, we would laugh or think that the old man has gone mad, right? And if we see a woman wearing a short skirt to pray at the mosque, would you be surprised? So these are some of the things we are not used to see in our everyday lives. But some people might not be surprised by these because they are the things they commonly see in their society. For example, in some countries, women are allowed to wear short skirts in a religious building such as in the church. However in Brunei, women are forbidden to wear as such. And also, in some western countries, there are men wearing tutus, usually for certain events they do. Thus it would not give a greater 'jolt' compare to our society.

Man wearing a tutu, do you see this everyday in Brunei?

Therefore I was wondering, well most of the time, when I go out shopping I usually buy clothes, shoes, bags and basically pretty little things. Since I was a girl, I have been raised to love soft colours like pink and purple, Barbie dolls, little plushies, watch Disney Fairytales and had a dream to be a princess. Until now I  still love the things I love when I was a child. However, my preferences developed into the things a young adult would love such as handbags, cosmetics, lingerie, high heels, shiny things and an ambition that seems to be impossible as a citizen in Brunei to achieve. To be honest, all my life I have always wanted to be a fashion designer who owns her own fashion empire and contribute to her country's economy. But this kind of dreams are not that very much available here so I guess I could just dream about it. :)

These are some of the photos I took. These are some of the things I usually go out shopping for. :)

This is a photo I took from one of the stores in Miri
                                       

Remember when I said that my ambition is to be a fashion designer? 

This is something I created a year ago. I gather all my lipglosses, perfumes and other cosmetics and turn them into a city. My city. I am basically trying to say that my life is practically revolves around fashion and style. To be honest, I am not that stylish and fashionable but I just love fashion! :) And yes, most of the time I always think that this is just going to be one of my fairytale dream but I do not know what the future holds for me. :)



 Two months ago, I was out shopping with my sister in Miri and we were trying on clothes. I picked out some clothes and tried them on in the fitting room. When I got out wearing those clothes I took, my sister went shock! She asked me 'What the hell are you wearing Kak?!' with a very disgusted look. Her expression shows as if I was wearing such ridiculous clothes when I was actually wearing a plain blouse.Therefore,  ideology is created by the things that we used to see in our everyday lives and  should we ever try to change it, it will be hard for us to accept it in our minds. For example, my sister used to see me in certain types of style and when she sees me with a different style, it is hard for her to accept it.But sometimes, when I do change into a different style, my sister would say 'Okay, I'm just going to try to get used to it'. It is the same as how we do not accept the idea an old man wearing a tutu walking in Bandar.


 *Human mind is such a powerful thing that it could change the world just like that. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It's More Than Meets The Eye

Assalamualaikum and Good Day! :)

I would like to welcome everyone who is visiting my blog :) I am happy to say that I'm proud to be in this course. This is a project journal for Visual Communication. I do hope you enjoy and do comment on any posts I made. Really appreciated it :)


Template by:
Free Blog Templates